I was invited by Steex House to speak at their Fusion Talks Leadership seminar series a few weeks ago. I had a great time and my 20 minute seminar focused on the topic: “Leading from the Overflow”. I told the audience that you are only truly effective when you are leading from the overflow. As a leader, you can only give out what you have and if you keep giving without getting refilled then after a while you will be running on empty. Leadership is people oriented and it is draining – psychologically, mentally, physically, and spiritually. The only way to avoid frustration and burn-out is to operate from the overflow. Such leadership has a multiplier effect on those you lead. Everyone you influence is empowered to become a leader or influencer who empowers others.
I used the image above to demonstrate, during the seminar, this multiplier effect. The leader pours from the overflow into his team and they pass it on to others in the organisation. Coaching is one vehicle to channel the overflow throughout the organisation and I will be tackling this in my next blog post. It is important to note that for there to be leadership overflow, there must be continuous inflow as demonstrated in the image above.
I shared several ways with the audience on how I get continuous inflow to become a better leader in both my personal and professional capacity:
• I am an avid reader of business and leadership books. Reading is one of my preferred learning styles. I know not all of you are big voracious fans of books, for instance my wife is not a big fan.
• I read a lot of blogs on the internet – on leadership, communication and design
• I do some journaling once a while based on my readings and reflections.
• I have engaging conversations with others on the issue of leadership.
• I check out online free videos on such conference websites like – TED , Catalyst and Poptech conferences.
• Spiritually, I get a lot of leadership inspiration from the Bible
• I download and listen to leadership podcasts on my phone e.g. Andy Stanley leadership podcasts are fantastic.
• I also stay up to date by reading business magazines such as Fortune, Harvard Business Review, Forbes, Fast Company, Inc etc
What are you doing to ensure there is continuous leadership inflow in your life? I will love to hear some of them on this blog.